What's not to love!
Just go easy on this delicious, healthy spread. Yes the ingredients are good for you but it is high in fat and calories so moderation is the key here.
At least by making it yourself you know exactly what's in it.
Basil Pesto - serves about 15 (really depends on your serving size. Try to limit it to one tablespoon)
1 cup raw Pine Nuts
3-6 Garlic Cloves (depending on size. I used 6 small ones)
1.5 oz hard Parmesan Cheese
2 oz or 2 packed cups of fresh Basil
1/4 tsp salt (may need to add more depending on your palate)
Juice from one Lemon (don't squeeze out every drop)
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Put the pine nuts into a food processor and pulse about 4 times.
2. Add the Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, lemon and basil. Turn the food processor on.
3. As the ingredients are blending, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. You may not need the full 1/2 cup. You can stop the processor if you need to push down the ingredients from the sides and then start it up again.
4. DO NOT over process otherwise you will end up with a thick sticky paste. Usually about 1-2 minutes will suffice.
5. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The basil can start to turn brown otherwise. You can mix it up and continue to eat it but the fresher the better right!
CALORIES PER SERVING; 140 cals